WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Kestrel Welcome

It always makes for a wonderful day, when a particular bird species I am seeking, elects to welcome me as I arrive at the gate. No folks, this is not a staged image, although I will admit, it might be really cool to have one as a pet...but then again, it would be even cooler to continue to see this little bird-of-prey free and wild to greet me once more another day.

Our smallest falcon, the kestrel is also the most familiar and widespread in North America. In open country it is commonly seen perched on roadside wires, or hovering low over a field on rapidly beating wings, waiting to pounce on a grasshopper. Kestrels nest in cavities in trees; in places where there are few large dead snags to provide nest sites, they may rely on nesting boxes put up for them by conservationists. - Source Audubon 

American Kestrel 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment