WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Yellowstone Lower Falls - 2011

As I stood and raised my camera to take this shot, I must say that I was truly overwhelmed by the sheer beauty and magnificence of this scene. It has been seen by millions of people around the world visiting Yellowstone since 1872, and rightly so.
 
ABOUT:The lower falls (44°43′05″N 110°29′46″W) are 308 feet (94 m) high, or almost twice as high as Niagara. The volume of water is in no way comparable to Niagara as the width of the Yellowstone River before it goes over the lower falls is 70 feet (22 m), whereas Niagara is a half mile (800 m).

The lower falls descend from the 590,000 year old Canyon Rhyolite lava flow. The lower falls of the Yellowstone is still the largest volume major waterfall in the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The volume of water flowing over the falls can vary from 63,500 USgal/s (240 m³/s) at peak runoff to 5,000 USgal/s (19 m³/s) in the fall.

YELLOWSTONE LOWER FALLS
 
Check out all of my photography and other wildlife shots in my gallery! GALLERY/STORE


No comments:

Post a Comment